Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Test Page 1 FU




OK here are the "new" pages. By now they're already three months old but I've had a bunch of other stuff to do so these are still the most recent work I have available to show you all.

This is a test for Future Unknown. These characters may or may not appear in the graphic novel. They're more a symbolic representation of some of the themes I'll be playing with. Philosophically and visually speaking.

I had to hand letter these pages, something I've never really done so apologies for the crappy lettering. If I incorporate any of these pages into the project rest assured that the lettering will be redone (either by someone els or using a font maker program).

I would like to spend some time learning to do proper lettering but I've got to weigh the pros and cons of doing the balloons and lettering on the boards vs in "post".

It's a time thing.

Writing AND drawing your own comic is a strange exorcize in discipline. Admittedly I did not write out a full script for this. I did a dialog breakdown which allowed me to figure out when to cut the scene and go to a new page. sometime during that proses I decided to enforce a story telling boundary of 6 panels per page, no more no less.

the reasoning behind that is to control the amount of story per page. The visual pacing. And to relieve some of the pressure I seem to inadvertently place on myself. By that I mean to say the proses of second guessing every artistic decision I make.

The curse of perfectionism.

Not "visual" perfection so much as "detail". I've got to learn to let go on an artistic level. This is commercial work not "Art". As much as I love the visuals of the medium I feel the story needs to be the focus. Storytelling (the good kind) is a term that really needs to be understood as meaning the incorporation of the whole proses. I forget that sometimes and I get bogged down in the visuals and the story details trying to make everything perfect.

anyways, lets go through the pages...one by one...(oops ran out of time. I'll be back later to complete the walk through, cheers).

2 Comments:

Blogger jasonb said...

God, it just gets better and better every page!

Highlights include:

Page 1's rain and the incredibly immaginative and beautifully designed panel 3.

Page 2: the rendering on her trenchcoat is beautiful, especially on the last panel. The shadowed face through the window is actually creepy! (something hard to do in comics).

page 3: The rain again is great, but the tiny figure of the boy in panel 1 is gorgeous.

page 4: The composition and angle of panel 1 really communicates the dread of the damage he's about to do. It's magnificent. The tiny figure of the boy in panel 2 is great.

page 5: The worm hole on the last panel is awesome.

I didn't see a page 6. Your writing is quite good! You can limit the panels per page, but you also have to limit what's being said in each panel. Another good tip is from Alan Moore who tries to have less than 29 words per speech balloon.

Brilliant work!

Jas

ps Oh, and page 3 panel 3 it's spelt "Nietzsche" not "Niche" (and this coming from the guy you used to say Frood not Freud).

3:47 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Hey thanks guy!

Your 2 kind.

Yes I did try to limit the dialog (believe it or not) but I seem to have a problem squeezing a whole story into 6 pages (I don't know why you couldn't see the last one it's right there on my screen)!

I had about 5 different scripts written for the dialog and each one told a different story. What I ended up with was a combination of all 5.

The last page (six) was an ad on. Nat a last minute thing exactly but a rethinking of what I had originally wanted to go with as far as communicating certain philosophical biases, so that page looks different as it was done later and (unfortunately) contains a lot of (what I would consider) necessary dialog (story points).

Basically I needed more than six pages to tell this story but they weren't available for the anthology.

anyway, thanks again I'll have some more posted soon.

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home